Saturday, May 20, 2017

Google Summit @Guilderland High School Day 1

I am attending the google summit today with #edtechteam. As I was watching the keynote speaker this morning, I realized that I recognized many of the apps used in the presentation, but couldn't remember them! This is why my mission this weekend is to publish all of the great resources I learn about today right here on my blog! So here we go... awesome apps, tools, and tips to use in your classroom!!!

Session one: Jennifer Cronk (Jennifercronk.com)

Ning- A social network generator, make your own social network. (You do have to pay a fee :( but each network is very affordable!

Game Star Mechanic- Make an educational game! (Free version available) It is an open template to create games for a variety of classes, from Math and Science to English and Social Studies and everything in between! Have your students learn content while designing a game, a motivating assignment for students!

Thinglink- A picture or photosphere where you can insert text boxes or other media, if a student mouses over one of these hot spots, they will see that information. (Paid Subscription required.) Have the students create these for each other or use one to present content yourself! You can also integrate augmented reality with Aurasma

Activity Idea: Create an iphone of a literary character or historical figure, what apps would they use and why? How does this represent that individual?

Piktochart- Create info graphics, you can create these but they do require students to create accounts. (Sign up for Free!) An educational version of this is available.

Tag Board- A board that aggregates all of the hashtags that have been used across all social media platforms. (You can search a hash tag for free).

Hyperdocs- Self paced learning through docs! You can embed multimedia, have students collaborate and interact with a document. (Free)

Padlet - A visual pin board of resources. I add all of my resources to Schoology right now, but I am considering posting them on padlet as well as a visual version of all of the handouts. You can attach all of the resources that are associated with the assignment as well! (Free)

Attended a session on 360 degree picture and story telling with Jessica Loucks. I took my first 360 degree picture and learned about an awesome new tool: Story Spheres!

In order to take a 360 degree picture, download the app Google Street View on your mobile device. From here, you can take 360 pictures with your iphone! Then you can go to Story Spheres and load text and audio to make your picture come to life for your students! I plan on testing this out over the summer while I travel. I think this would be great for an entry document or scavenger hunt for students on any topic. Students can also create their own!

No comments:

Post a Comment